Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Green Spaces Within Cities

 One of my favorite settings for the books I write is a park in my imagination called Gill Park. I have invited people from all over to write about their favorite parks.


My favorite park is on the outskirts of Blue Earth. It has a circular walking path and a walking path in the woods. The leaves have changed colors and are falling off the trees. There is a flower garden that people volunteer to weed at the park. Our club had a picnic last May and it was really windy that evening.
                                                      J.G., Blue Earth, Minnesota


My son is five now and is really starting to get into books about adventures....Our favorite park is just across the street from us...I draw a picture of something we are going to search for at the park or guessing games on what we are going to do at the park. It makes for a fun morning or afternoon and gets us out of our apartment. Fall is the best time with all the leaves, acorns, and pinecones. When we see a bird's nest, we will try to get up and take a picture of it to put in our "Fun Days" scrapbook.
                                                       N.G., Hiawatha, Indiana



Our favorite is called Two Rivers Park. It is just off the interstate but you'd never know it. There is a three mile paved walking course, where you'll see serious runners, casual joggers, families on bikes, or folks just meandering through enjoying the day. It is very common to see a herd of deer as you walk along in total peace and quiet, broken up by the occasional hiss of an armadillo. We love the quick respite from the busy day.
                                                                             J.S.  Mabelvale, Arizona

I'll tell you about the park I most remember growing up in San Antonio, Texas. Brackenridge Park is a large park (433 acres) on the north side of San Antonio. Inside the park are the White Museum, the Japanese Sunken Gardens, and the San Antonio Zoo. There's also a train that takes you through the entire park with stops along the way for the various sites--you can get on and off at each of these stations. That was always something I looked forward to each time we went to Brackenridge Park. Whether we were going "just" to the zoo, or going for a picnic, or going to the Witte Museum. I always wanted to ride that train. Because the park is quite large and the tracks go through some wooded areas, it has the dubious distinction of being the "victim" of the last train robbery in America. Yes, in July 1970 two armed and masked robbers stopped the train in a secluded area and robbed the passengers! Several of the passengers thought they were actors and just laughed at them, but they were serious. They were eventually apprehended and sentenced...
                                                                                      FTB, Bayside, Wisconsin


I love my park. It's at the end of my block and my brother has played some of his baseball games there too. Then my grandparents all come watch too. When we had a dog, we went there everyday to throw her the ball. She loved it too. She was so fast!
                                                                         C.R.  Blaine, Minnesota

               PLEASE ADD YOUR DESCRIPTION OF YOUR FAVORITE PARK TO THE BLOG!

1 comment:

  1. As a native New Yorker, I always took Central Park for granted; an entitlement, a playground, an integral part of the landscape. In Boston, I enjoyed the Commons and the Public Garden, but found them a little neat and limited. In Paris, it seemed strange to lie on the (anemic) grass in the Tuileries even once they allowed it. In Stockholm, I loved how you're never quite sure where the water and the parks end and the city begins. In LA, you don't go to parks (except to score drugs), you go hiking. Bit by bit, it has dawned on me over the years how precious and unique a thing is Central Park, and what an inspiration it was to create it.

    ReplyDelete