Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Writing Workshops

I love to give writing workshops. I begin by working with a group as a whole and combining improvisational techniques with brainstorming. I long ago took a workshop with the great teller of tales,  Jane Yolen, and she encouraged us, when we were starting out a story, to think of the four elements: earth, air, fire, and water. I have found this to be a wonderful jumping off point for young writers. We discuss what setting might be inspired by each element and then vote on one as a group. Working with a group like this takes the pressure off individuals and everyone becomes invested in the outcome. By starting with a sense of play, even reluctant students begin to take creative risks.

As a drama teacher for most of my thirty years of teaching, I learned that playing is creating. The best writing comes out of a spirit of play that is then shaped and revised. And as a rather shy person myself, I enjoy helping shy people find their voice.

Here is an affirmation from a fellow writing teacher, Leif Riddington:

"The writing that Amy Gordon inspires in children sets imaginations aflame...she activates children into self-expression before they know what has happened to them..." Leif Riddington, Director of Summerwrite!Camp, Western Massachusetts Writing Project

Let me know if you are interested! I also love to talk about where ideas for writing come from.


Here's to that spirit of play!!!

1 comment:

  1. Testimonial: Our seventh graders were drawn right into this process, and quickly settled into writing with purpose. It was just the right dose of group engagement and personal motivation.

    ReplyDelete